Family Medicine New York, NY
Family medicine is just what it sounds like: healthcare for the whole family, no matter the age. Family doctors are primary care physicians that treat patients of all ages and often have entire families on their patient dockets. Having one doctor has many advantages for everyone involved.
Family medicine is available at Marina Gafanovich, MD in New York and the surrounding area. We have a family doctor for those who want a comprehensive approach to their family's healthcare. To learn more about family medicine or schedule an appointment, call (212) 548-3263 today.
What is Family Medicine
Family medicine is a subfield within primary care that encompasses various treatments for patients of all ages, from infants to seniors. Family medicine practitioners, unlike other healthcare specialists, are not concerned with a specific disease, ailment, or condition. They are general physicians that are qualified and trained to care for, monitor, and treat conditions as they arise through a person's life.
According to the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), family doctors provide much more than just healthcare, but also:
- Care for patients regardless of age or health condition, sustaining an enduring and trusting relationship
- Considering the impact of health on a patient’s family
- Navigating the health care system with patients, including specialist and hospital care coordination and follow-up
- Serving as a patient’s first contact for health concerns
- Understanding of community-level factors and social determinants of health
- Using data and technology to coordinate services and enhance care
“Family medicine is a subfield within primary care that encompasses various treatments for patients of all ages, from infants to seniors.”
Types of Services Offered
Family doctors may have their own practice and clinic, or they may work in a community center with other practitioners. In either case, patients become part of the family doctor's patient list and they are their sole primary care provider. They provide a plethora of services including, but not limited to:
- Health risk assessments
- Healthy lifestyle counseling
- Routine checkups, including well-baby and child visits
- Screening tests
- Treatment of common chronic conditions
Family doctors can also treat patients in the hospital, deliver emergency care, provide OB care, and perform various invasive procedures such as colonoscopies, endoscopies, skin procedures, ultrasound imaging, and vasectomies, among others. Family doctors can also manage chronic conditions alongside specialists, such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke and hypertension, cancer, and asthma.
“Family doctors can also treat patients in the hospital, deliver emergency care, provide OB care, and perform various invasive procedures such as colonoscopies, endoscopies, skin procedures, ultrasound imaging, and vasectomies, among others.”
Benefits of Seeking a Family Doctor
Seeking a family physician has many advantages. For one, they treat all members of the family, reducing transportation time and wait times, thereby reducing the amount of time one has to take off from work or school time. They are also well-versed in every developmental stage, allowing them to assess a patient's overall health record over the course of their life. The AAFP states that access to a family doctor has been linked to reduced infant mortality, higher birth weights, immunization rates above national standards, lower overall health care costs, and longer, healthier lives.
Family doctors also provide preventive care, comprehensive care, coordinated care, chronic care, ongoing care, and resources beyond medical care. They offer routine check-ups that keep patients up-to-date on their necessary health checks, such as lab work, to keep them healthy and prevent disease. They can coordinate care by referring patients to qualified specialists within their network and work alongside them to build a comprehensive treatment plan for patients. They can help manage chronic illnesses and take necessary measures to ensure their treatments are going well. Finally, family doctors know the community and can help patients connect to local resources, such as healthy food stores, rehabilitation centers, and support groups.
“…they treat all members of the family, reducing transportation time and wait times, thereby reducing the amount of time one has to take off from work or school time.”
Check out what others are saying about our primary care physician services on Yelp: Family Medicine in New York, NY
What to Expect
Each appointment will differ depending on the reason for a patient's visit. During the initial consultation, we like to get to know our patients and record as much of their medical history and current health status as possible. This involves attaining any prior records, asking questions, taking vitals and measurements, and assessing any concerns the patient currently has.
During subsequent visits, patients can expect to take vitals and any necessary health checks at the start of the visit. Then, we will move on to the primary concern of the visit, whether that may be a routine check-up, administering shots, taking tests or screenings, or performing a procedure. In most cases, the patient will know what will take place during their next appointment unless it is an emergency visit. We encourage patients to ask questions and call with any concerns as they arise.
“During the initial consultation, we like to get to know our patients and record as much of their medical history and current health status as possible.”
Questions Answered on This Page
Q. What types of services do family doctors offer?
Q. What are the benefits of seeking a family doctor?
Q. What can I expect during a family medicine appointment?
People Also Ask
Q. What happens during a school and sports physical?
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is unique about family medicine?
A. Family medicine is the only subfield in healthcare that caters to the needs of the entire family. This allows all members to visit the same doctor, often during the same visit. They are also well-versed in many aspects of medicine and can perform many procedures or refer patients to specialists they work with.
Q. What is the primary role of a family doctor?
A. The primary role of a family doctor is health promotion and illness prevention. Ongoing care with one doctor has been shown to prevent many conditions from arising or progressing. They also focus on comprehensive and ongoing care.
Q. What types of treatments can a family doctor provide?
A. Family doctors provide routine health check-ups and exams and prescribe medications, treat minor illnesses and injuries, manage chronic conditions, and perform screenings for common health problems. They can also refer patients to specialists or the emergency room.
Q. What is the difference between a primary care provider and a family doctor?
A. Primary care providers and family doctors are similar in that they both provide comprehensive medical care. However, a primary care doctor may be fixed in one age group, such as infancy or adult care. Family doctors treat patients of all ages and have a wider understanding of the developmental stages.
Q. Which specialists can a family doctor refer me to?
A. Family doctors can refer patients to any medical specialist. That includes pain management doctors, oncologists, dermatologists, chiropractors, therapists, addiction specialists, and many more. We will likely assess and diagnose your condition, discuss options, and then recommend a specialist.
Start Feeling Better – Visit Us Today
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Definition of Medical Terminology
- Acute care
- A branch of secondary health care where a patient receives active but short-term treatment for a severe injury or episode of illness, an urgent medical condition, or during recovery from surgery.
- Chronic Care
- Medical care which addresses pre-existing or long-term illness, as opposed to acute care which is concerned with short term or severe illness of brief duration
- An illness affecting a human, plant, or animal that is not merely caused by an injury and is accompanied by signs of symptoms.
Call Us Today
A family doctor is available at our office. The Marina Gafanovich, MD team looks forward to treating you and your family. Call our office at 212-548-3263 to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment.
Helpful Related Links
- American Academy of Family Physicians. American Academy of Family Physicians. 2022
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). 2022
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. 2022
- American Journal of Medicine. American Journal of Medicine. 2022
- American Medical Association (AMA). American Medical Association (AMA). 2022
- American Medical Society For Sports Medicine (AMSSM). American Medical Society For Sports Medicine. 2022
- American Pregnancy Association. American Pregnancy Association. 2022
- Medline Plus Birth Control. Medline Plus Birth Control. 2022
- Planned Parenthood Birth Control Methods. Planned Parenthood Birth Control Methods. 2022
- The AAP Parenting Website. The AAP Parenting Website. 2022
About our business and website security
- Marina Gafanovich, MD was established in 1980.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Westchester County, New York County, Kings County, Bronx County, Richmond County, Queens County, Suffolk County, Nassau County, Orange County and Rockland County
- We serve patients from the following cities: New York, Manhattan, Jersey City, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, Long Island, West New York and Westchester
- National Provider Identifier Database (1942328802). View NPI Registry Information
- Healthgrades. View Background Information and Reviews
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of Family Medicine
How A Health Check-Up Can Protect You From Cancer
Are you thinking about getting a health check-up so you can protect yourself from a cancer diagnosis? Good idea, as there are many different types of cancers one can be diagnosed with. According to the National Cancer Institute, some of the most common forms of cancer include: Breast Bladder Colorectal Lung Prostate Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Thyroid…
Key Benefits Of Having A Primary Care Doctor
When people feel well, they do not always give thought to primary care health needs. However, everyone requires regular medical attention to stay in good shape. It might be to get a sports physical for school, deal with an accidental injury or receive treatment for an unexpected illness. Having a primary care doctor helps keep…
What Problems Can A Primary Care Center Treat?
The concept of primary care is to ensure that every patient has a medical home to go to when there is a problem. The team of primary care providers in the center will be familiar with the patient, their medical history, and their needs and play a crucial role in restoring wellness. In fact, it…
Explore additional topics covered on our website:
Call Us Today
Scan here to call Marina Gafanovich, MD on mobile